01.26.04 | Permalink | Comments Off on SEO vs. Search Engine Marketing
Here’s my general approach to generating traffic through Google.
- Research and Identify keywords for each page you want to target in the Search Engines. There are tools out there to help out.
- Optimize the pages for the keywords. This is the tricky part and it’s called Search Engine Optimization (SEO).
- Measure results and identify the pages that don’t achieve high ranking and therefore, no traffic.
- Purchase text-ads in Google. Use the keywords identified. This is called Search Engine Marketing.
- Keep monitoring. Results in Google move up and down all the time, it’s called “the Google dance”. Start again at step 1
When talking about Search Engine Optimizing, I often find people jump to 4, not realizing that if you can be succesful at 1 to 3, you can keep those dollars in your pocket or apply them elsewhere.